Jonathan Davies (1962-2021): A tribute by Lord Palmer of Childs Hill
Jonathan Davies sadly passed away after a serious illness lasting over one year. He was tragically only in his 50s.
Susette and I have known him as a friend and colleague for what seems a lifetime and is certainly very many years.
His work in the Liberal Democrats is legendary, and I doubt that we can, at this stage, do full justice to all his work:
- He Chaired the English Party of the Liberal Democrats and was a Vice President of the Federal Party.
- He stood (three times) as a Parliamentary candidate in Finchley & Golders Green.
- He was a Councillor on the London Borough of Barnet (1994-98) in the heady days of the joint Liberal Democrat/Labour Administration.
- He was an executive member of Barnet Liberal Democrats.
- Before moving to Barnet he was chair of Haringey Lib Dems.
- He was an officer of Lib Dem Lawyers.
- He was a lawyer at the firm RPC.
- He was a very effective Vice Chair and Treasurer of Liberal Democrat Friends of Israel.
- He was Election Agent for many parliamentary and local elections.
He was what we all realised was a safe pair of hands.
He was a graduate of Oxford University and was a Deputy on the Board of Deputies of British Jews. When he moved to Golders Green he joined Golders Green Synagogue and for many years was indispensable on so many fronts all under the umbrella of being the shul's Treasurer. Susette fondly remembers him standing on a ladder helping refurbish the interior of the Ark in our synagogue. You could always rely on Jonathan when help was needed.
On so many problems, Jonathan was the person to go to for advice and help which he always gave willingly with kindness and consideration.
Susette and I are proud to have called him our friend. Along with so very many other people we will miss him greatly.
Lord Monroe Palmer